Purpose of Role
Foresight News, the UK’s leading forward-planning press diary, is looking for an enthusiastic, quick-learning and hard-working researcher to join our editorial team.
You’ll have a passion for current affairs, ideally interested in working in a news wire-type environment. The ideal candidate is an avid follower of UK news, with knowledge of reputable news sources and a good understanding of how to use social media as a research tool. This is a great position for a new graduate looking to gain a foothold within the news industry.
We’re looking for someone who can multitask and work to multiple deadlines, and who is capable of getting to the heart of complex stories in punchy, easy-to-understand copy. Your role will involve researching forward planning news information, covering a wide variety of issues, as well as contributing content to our newsletter and social media.
You’ll be generally curious and interested in delving into new areas. Content areas can be tailored depending on your areas of interest, but could include home affairs, devolved politics, health and science, education, environment and climate change, arts, sports and more. An ability to quickly wrap your head around a new issue is key.
Great research, writing and organisational skills are a must, coupled with a willingness to pick up the phone and an understanding of the importance of confirming information at source. Experience of working within current affairs is preferable but not essential.
Please note – this is not a reporting position. You will not be writing full-length articles, but will instead be responsible for researching a variety of different stories every day at the forefront of developing news.
The job holder will have the day to day responsibility for researching and updating content for the Foresight News database, including proofing/sub-editing other editorial content where required. They must develop and maintain strong industry contacts, work to deadlines, work closely with other Xeim product editorial teams, and help maintain Foresight News’s social media presence.
- Building and maintaining a database of all events and contacts relevant to the Foresight News brand.
- Proofing and sub-editing of Foresight News content where required.
- Focusing across sectors including, but not limited to: home affairs, health & science, environment, social affairs, devolved politics
- Working within the Foresight News editorial team to generate events and develop leads and contacts for the product.
- Maintain the highest standards of integrity and accuracy, and professional and legal compliance in all matters relating to Foresight News and Xeim websites.
- Contribute to Foresight News’ blog and newsletter content.
- Ensure all editorial content is objective, accurate and relevant to Foresight News clients.
- Ensuring deadlines are met as briefed by the editor.
- Contribute to Foresight News’ social media presence.
Key Skills & Knowledge:
- Knowledge of the UK news environment
- Understanding USPs and benefits of own and competitor products.
- Understand how content is used by Foresight News clients and why content is included on the site
- Experience of working with databases.
- Experience in a similar role.
- Excellent news judgement
- Time Management
What we can offer you:
- Well-supported remote working
- Excellent central London WeWork office location with free fitness and wellness classes and free drinks
- Benefits including 25 days annual leave, access to remote medical services, cycle to work and season ticket loan schemes and more
- Training, mentorship, and employee recognition schemes